Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Libyan Nights

Libyan Night at Bab El Bahr


There was a Libyan Night Celebration at the hotel tonight so dinner was held in a different restaurant than usual. The entertainment was hilariously bizarre and kept my attention diverted from the fact that the food is still unbearably bad. I am absolutely starving and in need of a decent meal - since hearing camel was on the menu I have steered clear of unidentifiable meats.

None the less, it was great to see a bit of Libyan culture. The dining room had an overwhelming smell, a mixture of incense and burning. There was a band, a dancer, some very unhappy children dressed up, some rabbits and chickens and a tent full of Tunisian men in all their gear. (For pictures please see my slideshow below).
My favourite being the lady dancing around with a vase on her head – her name is Faria and she is a really sweet lady but I have to say her act needs a bit of variety to say the least. (I can't stop laughing as I write this!)


Faria dancing with a vase on her head
(Apologies for the sideways video!)