Saturday, March 28, 2009

It’s "Libyan Time"

The Libyan people are so generous, helpful, warm and friendly but boy oh boy are they bad timekeepers. The attitudes here are so laid back and thus time seems to be a minor detail of life which is overlooked.

Getting something urgent done at work is like a 4 week process, label a document urgent to be delivered and that document will travel through the entire community before reaching it’s destination – it will stop off for a cup of tea, it will meet and greet the family and get distracted in numerous discussions before finally being delivered.

In many ways laid back is quite nice after living in London for the past 10 years, but as I work for the busiest department, I can’t enjoy all of the luxuries of the slow paced lifestyle. I am actually really happy to be so busy at work, the day flies by and before you know it, it’s 4pm and your home by 4:30pm with the rest of the evening free.

Today however, has been a rather annoying experience of “Libyan Time”, it is my weekend and I’ve spent the day waiting for work men to come to fix numerous things in the apartment today but nobody has managed to show up! I want to cook, I want to shower and I want to wash my clothes, but I have a feeling I may be waiting for a lot longer than I’m being promised. Oh well, maybe my odour will keep the mosquitos away.

See I’m already learning to let the smaller problems I encounter here roll off my shoulders and appreciate the positive. (Even though it smells bad!)